Friday, February 21, 2014

Mission: Moss


  
I've dabbled in photography in the past, mostly using a Nikon FM2 SLR and print film. I've considered investing in a nicer DSLR, but always felt that the heavy equipment commonly associated with quality photography was at odds with my minimalist nature, particularly adventure running. And yet, running often brings me to some very spectacular scenes. Being mindful of photographic opportunities also helps to sharpen my vision and pushes me to actually see things instead of just looking at things.

Cameras are evolving. Micro four-thirds, mirrorless, larger sensors, and the like are available in increasingly smaller packages. I'm intrigued. But before I consider investing in something better, I first need to explore the limitations of the small point and shoot cameras I already own. With that in mind, I decided I'd bring along my old compact on today's easy, eight-mile lunchtime run in Forest Park. My mission was to turn off auto mode and learn. My assignment: photograph moss. The mid-day lighting kind of sucked, but then so do my photography skills. I intend to keep learning.

Some of the results. 


4 comments:

  1. Those pictures are amazing Brian. Makes me want to go to Forest park, I never have been there. I can tell I am missing out on a whole world of new discovery. Thanks for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricky! FP is a special place. Highly recommended.

      Delete
  2. Great Shots! Makes me miss Forest Park and all the trails so close to downtown that can be hit on a lunch break. You sure now how to push the envelope on your point and shoot. As a photo newbie, I myself spent months trying to find that perfect dslr that wouldn't hinder or slow me down on the trails, but would allow me to push my photography beyond the point and shoot or phone camera. I picked up the Panasonic GH3 (the GH2 would work just as well) and a small chest harness from clik elite. This is been one of my best trail investments. I highly encourage the micro four thirds. Small lenses that can still pack a punch. Best of luck and keep running and shooting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Will. Thanks! I will take a look at the Panasonic you mentioned, and the chest harness. So many options. I hope your training and preparations for the Washington PCT are going well. I'm excited to see you accomplish that dream!

      Delete