Saturday, August 17, 2013

New Oregon PCT Speed Record (7d, 22h, 37m)

At 1:37 pm today (August 17th), I crossed the Oregon/Washington border on the Pacific Crest Trail (mid-point on the Bridge of the Gods) after starting at the Oregon/California PCT border on August 9th at 3 pm. This establishes a new self-supported speed record on the PCT for the state of Oregon in a time of 7 days, 22 hours, 37 minutes. Numerous witnesses were present at both the start and finish and other forms of verification are available to those interested.

This was an incredibly difficult and potent journey for me. Before I take a few days to digest the experience and share more information, I want to express thanks to the PCTA for maintaining and protecting such an incredible trail. I intend to make a contribution to them as a way of showing appreciation. I also want to say thank you to the many amazing hikers I met on the PCT. And finally, I must say that I am now even more humbled and awed by the full-length PCT record holders, past and present. Their achievements are truly incredible.

And also a final note to my great bud Yassine. I was beyond bummed when we got separated and eventually found out that he had decided to drop out. I completely understand and know that he made the right decision. In the end, I was very glad to get to run the initial portion of the trail with him. I look forward to future adventures with this first-class guy and feel lucky to call him a friend.


(photo: Yassine Diboun)

7 comments:

  1. Whoooohooo!! Great job Brian.
    Inspirational for many of us.

    Bammmola to Brian The Donnelly-ola!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!! Phenomenal effort. ~ Anish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Thanks for sharing your journey. I can't wait for the full write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to read more about this speed record. Do you know the elevation gain/loss? How many hours did you average per day? What did your training look like leading up to your attempt? Did you keep track with a GPS device? How much of the terrain was runnable?
    Very impressive. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel. Thanks for the kind words. I am in the process of publishing a detailed account of the adventure. The article should address most of your questions. Coming soon. Thanks again!

      Delete