Sunday, August 4, 2013

Gearing Down for the PCT


For the past year or so I've been researching and testing gear for an Oregon PCT running adventure (about which I will write more later). I wanted to make a quick post to describe the gear I will be taking with me. The following shows the entire kit excluding what I will wear on my body (shorts, shoes, socks, shirt). I didn't list the weight for all of the items, but, aside from food and water, the kit is close to seven pounds including everything worn and carried. In the ultralight fastpacking world, this is referred to as 'skin out' weight. 

I plan to charge electronics and my flashlight using chargers and batteries from the resupply boxes I've sent to five different locations along the Oregon PCT trail. In addition to food, the resupply boxes also include small containers of items such as sunblock, electrolytes, soap, and maps for specific sections of the trail.

Zpacks 30 degree down sleeping bag (16.7 oz)
Ruta Locura bivy sack (3.7 oz) 
MLD cuben poncho tarp (4.6 oz)
Inertia x-lite torso pad (6.1 oz)
Osprey hornet pack (20 oz)
Patagonia capilene 4 fleece hoody (9 oz)

Patagonia Houdini windbreaker (4 oz)
Patagonia Houdini pants (4 oz)
Extra pair socks

Compression calf sleeves
Hat and buff
Sunglasses
Camera (4.8 oz)
Phone (3.95 oz) 

USB phone charger cord
Sawyer squeeze water filter and bladder (4 oz)
Water bottle
Plastic jar for re-hydrating food
Plastic fork
Maps
Mini sharpie pen
Spyderco ladybug 3 knife
Toothbrush
Small flashlight and single AA battery
Credit card, cash, drivers license
Mini first aid kit and fire-starter kit

4 comments:

  1. When is this PCT event? Are you doing it with Yassine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mayhem! The plan is to start on Friday and run the Oregon section of the PCT (with Yassine). I'm writing up a description of our intended adventure, which I'll post in the next day or so. Hope life is treating you well!

      Delete
  2. Hi Brian, super excited for you guys. I am looking at the hornet bag as well. Any reason, besides weight, that you went with that instead of the talon? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David

      I'm using the hornet 24 mainly because of the lighter weight and also the fit really works for me. I have a larger talon, too, but that pack seems to have a bunch of extra features (and weight) that I don't really need. I even did quite a bit of surgery on the hornet to reduce the weight a bit more. Every little bit counts.

      Thanks!
      Brian

      Delete